Monday, January 28, 2008

Founder's Day, who knew?

We have some new feature stories up at RockLibrary.com announcing the blog and the Challenge Grant. Emails, news stories, press releases and blog entries equal a lot of writing; at this point the dog thinks that I’m physically attached to the keyboard.

I’ve also been working on a video promo that will go up on Youtube later today. Don't panic, I'll post it here too.

The Rock & Roll Library is usually closed on January 28 and all the interns and volunteers have the day off. They call it Founder’s Day, my mother called it my birthday but either way, this year I’ll be hard at work trying to generate interest in the Giving Challenge.

Yes, we are really closed on my birthday. I thought that it would be great to give someone a day off for this reason and I feel like I have to honor it if I want it to outlive me, so I close the library on January 28 and I take the day off.
I like the idea that in 100 years January 28th is a holiday maybe called Music that everyone has off, hangs out with friends and loved ones and play or listen to music and lets music enrich their lives. It's a holiday about the good things and wherever you are there are good things so make the best of it. Yes, I like how that sounds, who wouldn't? Your birthday is a holiday that reminds people to stop and live in the moment and enjoy themselves. "If you get confused just listen to the music play..."

In the event that in the future my birthday is not celebrated around the world as "Music" or "Music Day" I would still like the Rock & Roll Library to be closed and a concert should be held for all the staff and their guests, and some other guests, basically a big party. It should be awesome and we should be the envy of all.

To everyone who has donated so far, please accept my deepest gratitude. I am striking out beyond the boundaries of inner circles, friends, colleagues and Rock Library supporters to reach the masses.

Wish me luck as I pursue radio stations across the nation to help spread the word about our pursuit of $50,000 from America’s Giving Challenge. Maybe you’ll hear me on the air in your city.

If you’ve got a favorite radio station outside Boston send me a link to their website and I’ll send them our press release.

We only have 4 more days to get as many people as possible to donate. Please ask your friends, neighbors, mother and/or dog (if he has his own credit card & email address) to donate! It's only $10. Please donate by clicking the orange "Donate" button on the left.

More later,

Anne

No comments: